Day Curling League
Mondays, Tuesdays and Thursdays at 9:30
Come when you can. There's no commitment to find a spare when you are busy or away. It’s a great place to learn to curl, to work on your curling skills, and to learn how to stick curl.
We also have one-day home/away tournaments with other clubs where we regularly get trounced but have a good time and a good meal! And we have several fun in-house bonspiels/pot lucks during the season.
Open to all members, and to non-members on a limited basis
Daytime Drop-in curling is open to all members, on a first come, first served basis. Non-members are welcome if space is available after members have been assigned to teams. Non-members can curl as our guest the first time and then we ask you to join the club as a social member ($50, with an opportunity to curl 3 more times) or as a full member of the club.
- Curling starts at 9:30 am. Please arrive a minimum of 15 minutes early to allow time to make up teams
- Games are eight ends with a break for refreshments after four ends
- Teams are mixed, with any combination of male and female curlers
- Adult curlers only
- We have a kitty to collect small contributions (generally a quarter) to cover the cost of refreshments (coffee and tea, supplies).
- If you love to bake, we have a sign up schedule for home cooked goodies but you are under no obligation to bring anything
- If schools in the area (South Shore Regional School Board) are closed due to bad weather on a curling day, daytime curling will be cancelled.
- Doug Ross: (H) 902-275-4762
- Mary Raine: (H) 902-273-2085
Doubles League ONLY
- Games will be played on alternate Monday evenings starting October 29th from 6:30-8:30 pm.
- Keep checking this space for further details which will be posted as they become available.
Stick League ONLY
- Games are played every Wednesday afternoon from 1:00 to 4:00pm.
- Each team consists of 2 stick curlers and 6 rocks are thrown each end alternately by each team. There is no sweeping between the hog lines.
- Curlers can sign up in teams or as an individual and they will be assigned to a team.
Wednesday Ladies League
- Games start at 7:00 p.m..
- Games will be 8 ends.
- Mates or thirds will notify the Chair of wins and losses.
- Regular draws will be round robin format per the schedule on the website.
- Canadian Curling Association rules apply.
- In the case of a tie at the end of the game, an extra end will be played.
- In the case of a tie at the end of a round robin, the standings will be determined by:
- Head to head winner
- Draw closest to the button (if needed).
- The team that cancels a game must try to accommodate an acceptable time for the opposing team when deciding on a make-up date.
- Re-scheduled games must be played within 1 week, unless other arrangements are deemed neccessary.
- If a game is not made up by the deadline date, the cancelling team must accept the loss.
- If neither team can complete a game, both teams will mark a loss for the game.
- If a night's play is cancelled due to inclement weather, that draw may be re-scheduled.
- At least 2 regular members from a team must be present in order for a game to qualify as a result for league play.
- Please call the Spares list, then spare curlers from the adult membership must be called after that. If no adult curlers are available, the juniors may be called.
- Tammy Rent: (H) 902-431-5854 (W): 902-624-1555 (C/T) 902-483-9086
- Cathy Rafuse: (H) 902-275-4844 (C/T) 902-527-4259
Thursday Mens League
- Early draw starts at 7:00 pm and the late draw at 9:00 pm.
- Teams in the early draw who are postponing or cancelling their game should inform the skips of the late game
- Games are eight ends
- Open to adult Men members
- Teams are asked to proceed to the ice at five to seven so the early draw can start promptly at 7:00 and allowing time to complete all eight ends.
- In the seven o'clock draw no end may start after 8:50 p.m. to allow timely completion of the second draw.
- Each losing team in the 7:00 draw is expected to clean the ice to allow for peppling between draws.
- Darrin Hatt: (C) 902-277-0493
- Dale Rafuse: 902-527-3377
Friday Mixed League
- Fun and camaraderie is the prime objective of this league.
- Open to all female and male members of the Club including Juniors. Teams are open and can consist of all male or all female members. Members can play any position.
- Spares can play any position and there are no restrictions except there must be at least 2 members of the original team playing the game for it to be counted.
- The early draw starts at 7:00 pm and games are eight ends. If a game is scheduled on that sheet for the late draw, the 8th end should not be started after 8:45pm.
- The late draw starts at 9:00pm and games are six ends.
- If your team needs to cancel a game, please inform the opposing skip and Mixed Chair immediately so another game can be played in your time slot, particularly if the game was scheduled for the 7pm draw.
- If a game is cancelled, a make up game can be played before the last scheduled date of the draw or the cancelling team takes the loss.
- Mates of the winning team are asked to record the win on the schedule on the bulletin board at the Club.
- CCA rules apply.
- Game tie breakers are determined by one stone to the house by each team with sweeping. Any member of the team can throw the stone.
- David Murray: (C) 902-401-4969
- Charles Walker: (H) 902-275-4635
Juniors Over 12
- For the 2018-19 season, Junior curlers will be able to play in a League on alternating Mondays starting November 5th from 6:30-8pm.
- If enough teams are present, league play will take place with two divisions. Instructional help will be given during the games to further develop their skills.
- Beth Atherton: (H) 902-275-2084
Juniors Under 12
- The Junior Under 12 League will be held on Saturdays from 10:30am to 11:30am during the 2018-19 season.
- Children can sign up as a team or we can place them with a team. Three to four ends will be curled each week. Volunteers will be on the ice to help the young curlers with strategy and etiquette.
- Beth Atherton: (H) 902-275-2084
Tuesday evenings at 7:30pm.
This league is suitable for beginner curlers who have been through a Learn to Curl clinic or have limited curling experience. It's a great great opportunity to try different positions, refresh your playing skills and learn the finer points of curling strategy. If you are a more experienced curler looking for additional ice time and willing to help mentor entry level curlers, consider joining us each Tuesday night. All Chester Curling Club members are welcome to drop by and play!
- The format for the Novice League is a drop-in type similar to Day Curling.
- Players are asked to arrive no later than 7:15pm so teams can be organized in time for a 7:30pm start on the ice.
- Games last for up to 2 hours. In-game tactical and strategic discussion is encouraged to maximize particpant learning so pace of play is not rushed. No end is allowed to begin after 9:15pm.
- Teams are made up to ensure that novice curlers get maximum experience of all aspects of the game and to create a mix of new and experienced curlers.
- Players are encouraged to enjoy the social side of curling during and after the game and the bar is open to provide an appropriate reward for the losing teams.
- Jeff Lamb: (C) 902-452-6315