Here are a few tips for new curlers on what type of clothing works best when playing the game...ideally you should dress in warm, comfortable and loose fitting clothing and layers that can be taken on and off as needed.
- Hat...since 40% of your heat loss comes from your head, wear a non-fuzzy hat that will keep your body temperature in a comfortable zone.
- Jacket/Hoodie...wear a jacket that's not too snug or tight for better mobility and layer it over a light sweater.
- Pants...choose a pair of pants that are stretchy and allow you to slide across the ice. Jeans are not recommended.
- Gloves/Mitts... wear gloves or mitts that are easy to take on and off and keep your hands warm. Leather or synthetic material is better than fuzzy wool as the fibres can fall onto the ice and cause your rocks to "pick".
- Shoes... running shoes or shoes with a rubber sole will give you a better grip on the ice. Carry these shoes with you to the curling rink to prevent dirt from getting on the ice surface.
Curling Canada has a number of short videos to help you better understand the fundamentals of the game.