Chester Curling Club thanks you for your interest in becoming a member of our curling family. We're working on providing you with all the information you need to join; check out our Membership Types page for a list of the different categories available this season.
Here are some frequently asked questions...
I've never curled before...how can I try the sport?
- Learn to Curl...our 6 week adult program is designed for all ages (19-99) and abilities. Topics covered include a general introduction to the Club, safety on and off the ice, the basic techniques of sliding, sweeping and elements of the game. For more details on dates and cost, visit our Learn to Curl Program page. Also, stop by our Learn to Curl Basics page where you'll see descriptions of curling terms, etiquette, videos and much more.
- You do not have to become a member to attend either of these events...although we'd love for you to join the Club!
What clothes and equipment do I need?
- For your first time curling, you will need:
- Shoes...clean, dirt-free running shoes will work well with the slider provided by the Club. When you decide to take up curling, it's a good idea to purchade a proper pair of curling shoes ($50-$300) and a gripper.
- Pants...loose-fitting, stretchy, warm pants are reccommended; jeans are not suitable for this sport.
- Hat and gloves...warm, synthetic materials are best. Anything with fibres that can fall on the ice are not suggested as the fibres can interfere with the passage of the rocks across the ice.
- Broom...the Club has brooms that you may use until you decide whether to purchase one of your own.
- Some of the items above can be purchased at the Club or visit the Curling Store online or at their location in Dartmouth, NS.
What fitness level does curling require?
- Curling requires moderate physical exertion, but can be played by all ages at various fun and/or non-competitive games.
- Lead and second...these two front end positions perform the most sweeping in an eight-end game and would be required to sweep 48 rocks (6 per end x 8 ends).
- Third or vice...will sweep 32 rocks as this position will also hold the broom for the skip's rocks.
- Skips...will only sweep when the rock is behind the t-line or to help out sweepers as they come into the house.
Which leagues should I join?
- For a full description of each of our leagues, go to our League Information page.
- Day Curling...if you have a day off, work night or are retired, this is the perfect place to practice your skills!
- Stick Curling...if you have trouble getting down into the hack and would prefer using a delivery stick, drop by the Club on Wednesday afternoons for a couple of hours of fun!
- Wednesday Ladies...evening games with a terrific group of women who are always looking for new members!
- Thursday Mens...two draws in this popluar evening league and teams are on the lookout for new recruits!
- Friday Mixed...couples, partners and singles welcomed in this purely social night time league!
Want to join the Chester Curling Club?
Click here to find details on how to become a member.