Chester Curling Club thanks you for your interest in becoming a member of our curling family.
We're working on providing you with all the information you need to join and answer your questions....please come back to this page where we'll post all the details!
I've never curled before...how can I try the sport?
- Learn to Curl...our 6 week program (fee TBD) is designed for all ages and abilities. Topics covered include a general introduction to the Club, safety on and off the ice, the basic techniques of sliding and sweeping and the basic elements of the game.
- Day of Curling...our FREE one day celebration of curling (held in October-date TBD) where everyone in the community is invited to try the sport for the first time, brush up on their curling skills or enjoy a fun game with the family.
- You do not have to become a member to attend either of these events...although we'd love for you to join the Club!
What clothes and equipment do I need?
- For your first time curling, you will need:
- Shoes...clean, dirt-free running shoes will work well with the slider provided by the Club. When you decide to take up curling, it's a good idea to purchade a proper pair of curling shoes ($50-$300) and a gripper.
- Pants...loose-fitting, stretchy, warm pants are reccommended; jeans are not suitable for this sport.
- Hat and gloves...warm, synthetic materials are best. Anything with fibres that can fall on the ice are not suggested as the fibres can interfere with the passage of the rocks across the ice.
- Broom...the Club has brooms that you may use until you decide whether to purchase one of your own.
- Some of the items above can be purchased at the Club or visit the Curling Store online or at their location in Dartmouth, NS.
What fitness level does curling require?
- Curling requires moderate physical exertion, but can be played by all ages at various fun and/or non-competitive games.
- Lead and second...these two front end positions perform the most sweeping in an eight-end game and would be required to sweep 48 rocks (6 per end x 8 ends).
- Third or vice...will sweep 32 rocks as this position will also hold the broom for the skip's rocks.
- Skips...will only sweep when the rock is behind the t-line or to help out sweepers as they come into the house.